Bellow is a summerization of apple HIG.
I will divide HIG to multiple parts. Following is part 1.
Regardless of the iOS device, the following observation apply:
- 44 X 44 points is the minimum acceptable size for a tappable area.
- People are aware of the quality of the app.
- app screen should be focused on content.
Difference between pixels and points
- Pixel are used when designing the icon on an image application.
- Points are related to the representation of views and icons on the iOS device
1 Point = 1 Pixel (non retina device) 1 Point = 2 Pixel (retina device)
Devices Sizes (in Points)
iPhone 3G/3GS 320 X 480 points
iPhone 4/4S, iPod 4th 320 X 480 points
iPhone 5, iPod 5th 320 X 568 points
iPad 1/2 1024 X 768points
iPad 3/4 1024 X 768 points
iPad mini 1024 X 768 points
Devices Sizes (in Pixels)
iPhone 3G/3GS 320 X 480 pixels
iPhone 4/4S, iPod 4th 640 X 960 pixels
iPhone 5, iPod 5th 640 X 1136 pixels
iPad 1/2 1024 X 768 pixels
iPad 3/4 2048 X 1572 pixels
iPad mini 1024 X 768 pixels
iOS devices and orientations
Launching an app on the iPad and the iPhone responds differently.
- on iPhone app launch as Portrait by default
- on the iPad apps launch as the current orientation of the device.
Preferences and settings
There is a difference between prefferences and settings.
- Preferences are kept inside the application itself.
- settings are kept inside the settings app.
- Preferences deals with user settings, such as accounts, notifications etc… (common).
- settings deals with app general and global settings (rare to be used).
App help should be minimal
- Tendency from users to disregard help
- Tendency from users to dislike help
- Help takes alot of space and time to be created